Saturday, August 16, 2008

AP Chem Syllabus

I found my old AP Chemistry syllabus from 2005 (sophmore junior year). You might know that my Chem AP class wasn't the best place to actually learn chem. It was a very good place to do math homework and brush up on poker skills though. In case you need more clarification, the teacher's name starts with 'W' and ends with 'oo'. Here's a quick rundown of the syllabus.

What it says: Spending 30-60 minutes each night reading and reviewing text in addition to working on homework and class assignments.

What really happened: We spent 30-60 minutes the night before each test and some of lunch time reading the text for the first time and copied all homework or class assignments.
---------------------------------------
What it says: Labs are an important part of the curriculum.

What really happened: We did no labs for 90% of the year. Then someone asked why we did no labs and we started doing a lab every single day. We also were proud that we set off the school fire alarm by burning things we didn't know about.
---------------------------------------
What it says: Independent work is an expectation of this course. Study groups are highly recommended.

What really happened: Independent work was rare. Answer copying groups were highly recommended.
---------------------------------------
What it says: Minimal extra credit is offered during the year.

What really happened: Extra credit was given if you were a girl and you whined constantly during class, before class, after class, and after school.
---------------------------------------
What it it says: Students should consider the serious time commitment required by this class.

What really happened: Students should take this class if they like playing chess and not learning chemistry.

7 comments:

  1. man those were good times... fire alarm was hilarious. I recall everyone running outside and going "WE DID IT!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha. leland "science" department.

    ReplyDelete
  3. in ap bio, 4 out of 5 days of the week, we had "work days" which meant picnics, reading comics, and sudoku races

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually i lied. i've been a loner all my life ):

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wait, wasn't this in our Junior year? (Not our sophmore [sic] year?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got the moral you want teach in your blog any way I should be happy that I am prepared for my exams.I am sure that I would be topper in the class.

    ReplyDelete

Anyone can comment! If you do comment as an anonymous user, leave some way for me to figure out who you are so I can thank you personally for blessing my blog with a comment.